Tecniche Diagnostiche per l'Edilizia
Building Maintenance Management Alberto Giretti
Knowledge of the building materials and of the main building technologies
KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING:
The course aims to deepen students' knowledge of the diagnostic process, as well as their knowledge and expertise of the main techniques of analysis and survey of the anomalies of technical systems, also through the analysis of case studies. This course strengthens and widens the knowledge acquired within the courses called Technology of Building Materials and gives student the capability of working out assumptions regarding the reasons connected with building pathologies. CAPACITY TO APPLY KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING:
Students will learn the methodologies for the diagnosis of building pathologies, as well as the techniques for the control of related consequences.TRANSVERSAL SKILLS:
The course will widen the ability of students of dealing with problem solving situations. In addition, they will be able to management legal controversies and will develop skills relative to team-working.
Lesson topics (57 hours)
1. The process of Diagnosis.
2. Diagnistic models.
3. Degradation of materials and building sub-system faults (resume).
4. Measurement and surveying techniques.
5. Case Studies.
Exercises (15 hours)
1. Analysis of common building pathologies. Application off FMEA to the definition of building pathology scenarios
2. Application of probability calculus to the assessment of results of technical surveys
3. Analsys of siple structural anomalies and assessment of the results of the main measurements and survey techniques.
4. Analisys of Radargrams (A-Scan and B-Scan) of Ground Penetrating Radar surveys
5. Analysis of building thermographies and assessment of vapour condensation in wall surfaces.
Development of the examination
LEARNING EVALUATION METHODS
Learning assessment is achieved through an oral discussion of the results of the course exercises. Then knowledge about course topics and skills concerning the testing procedures and on-site surveys techniques will be evaluated though questions and brief exercices.
LEARNING EVALUATION CRITERIA
The student's learning degree will be assessd by testing the knowledge level on a sample of the course topics, by assessing the competence level reached on the usage of varius measurement equipments introduced during the course, and on the ability of identifying specific pathologies and of planning coherently the diagnostic process.
LEARNING MEASUREMENT CRITERIA
Knowledge level is measured through the quality of the answers provided by the learner. Competence about testing equipment usage is assessed through the oral discussion of practical cases simulated during the exam. Finally, the diagnostic process planning skill will be evaluated through the discussion typical building pathology scenarios.
FINAL MARK ALLOCATION CRITERIA
The learner achieves the minimum mark by demonstrating good knowledge on all the topics of the exam questions.The leraner achives higer marks, progressively,by showing good competence in conducting on-site testing (procedural aspects), by by demonstrating ability in processing testing results, and, finally, in planning more complex diagnostic processes.
Course materials will be provided during the lectures
- Ingegneria Edile (Corso di Laurea Magistrale (DM 270/04))