Progetto di Strutture (EA)
Design of Structures Massimo Formica
Knowledge of Structural Analysis are considered as acquired
KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING:
The course aims to provide the student with the necessary knowledge required for the structural modelling and design of a complex reinforced concrete building systems in seismic area. In detail, fundamentals of structural conception and construction techniques relevant to the design of buildings are provided.CAPACITY TO APPLY KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING:
The student learns to develop adequate design and technical solutions, with reference to compatibility, environmental sustainability, requirements and possible constraints. These skills are developed through lectures and a designing exercise developed in groups.TRANSVERSAL SKILLS:
The designing exercise contributes improving the students self-learning and critical judgment skills, as well as communicative skills necessary for the teamwork.
1) Steel-concrete composite beams:
- types and construction methods;
- structural analysis, sectional analysisl, verification at the SLE and ULS;
- design and verification of connection and verification of the reinforcement in the concrete slab.
2) Reinforced concrete buildings in seismic zone:
- structural typologies for reinforced concrete buildings;
- design loads for civil structures (dead and live loads);
- seismic actions in accordance with NTC 14/01/2008;
- design criteria for sizing of the main structural elements;
- design methods for secondary structural elements (concrete slabs and concrete stairs);
- definition of structural models using 3D finite element solver;
- global structural analysis of buildings (linear static and dynamic analysis);
- verification of structural elements (capacity design);
- foundation: typologies, geotechnical and structural design;
- executive design drawings e calculation report.
Development of the examination
LEARNING EVALUATION METHODS
The evalulation of student learning is based on two assessments:
- the development of a seismic resistant design, and the relevant executive drawings, of a reinforced concrete building;
- an oral exam consisting in a discussion of the design project and in some theoretical questions on the topics covered during the course (students may be requested to answer some questions in writing and the answers will be successively discussed).
To access the oral exam the student is required to have completed the project.
LEARNING EVALUATION CRITERIA
Through the design project and the oral exam the student must demonstrate to have learned the topics covered during the course, such as analysis and design methods of seismic resistant structures.
LEARNING MEASUREMENT CRITERIA
The evaluation of both the assessment is expressed in thirtieths.
FINAL MARK ALLOCATION CRITERIA
The student is expected to pass both assessments. The final mark of the course will be calculated after the oral exam as the average of the marks received for these two assessments. The 'lode' will be awarded to students who, having correctly completed the two assessments, show an outstanding understanding in the subject.
- AICAP progettazione di strutture in cls armato. Guida alluso dellEurocodice 2 con riferimento alle Norme tecniche D.M. 14.01.2008 Volume 1
- AICAP progettazione di strutture in cls armato. Guida alluso dellEurocodice 2 con riferimento alle Norme
- Ingegneria Edile-Architettura (Corso di Laurea Magistrale con Riconoscimento Europeo (DM 270/04))