Misure e Controlli Industriali
Industrial measurement and control Nicola Paone
Knowledge of main measurement techniques for mechanical and thermal quantities and of static and dynamic performance of measurement instrumentation.
KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING:
The course provides students with knowledge of mechanical engineering on control systems to the standard feedback (PID and fuzzy) and machine vision systems used for measurement, diagnosis, control. Of them will learn the hardware and algorithms and softwareCAPACITY TO APPLY KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING:
The student of mechanical engineering will be educated to the choice and integration of a standard industrial controller, PID and / or fuzzy, in a feedback controlled system. He also learn how to choose the components of a vision system and integrate them in order to develop measurement systems based on acquisition and processing of images. They will discuss examples of applications for quality control and process, both through lectures and laboratory exercisesTRANSVERSAL SKILLS:
Application examples will be chosen in the context of industrial engineering, and in other fields of application of its experimental
The course provides knowledge on the principles of operation and the choice and use of standard feed-back controllers (PID and fuzzy) and on vision systems for measurement applied to process and quality control. The following main parts will be developed.
Classroom lessons (38 hours)
1) Elements of feed-back control. The role of the sensor in feed-back loops. Tranfer function and analysis of system dynamic response, poles, asymptotic stability. The PID control algorithm. The fuzzy controller. Industrial controllers: PID and fuzzy, analog and digital. Examples of industrial controls.
2) Image acquisition and processing for measurement, automation and control. Elements of geometrical optics and diffraction. Image formation. Illumination, colour, industrial illuminators. Image sensors CCD and CMOS. Cameras, digital cameras, smart cameras, fast cameras. Digital image acquisition systems. main algorithms for image processing: hystograms, LUT, spatial filters, thresholhd, morphologic operators, spatial frequency domain, image correlation, pattern matching. Application examples.
Exercises/training sessions in classroom and in laboratory (10 hours)
The following training sessions will be organized:
1) one training session in laboratory on standard feed-back control systems;
2) one training session on dynamic analysis of systems by software;
3) one laboratory training session on hardware of vision systems;
4) one guieded visit to the laboratories of DIISM on application of vision systems;
5) one guided visit to a company active in development/application of vision systems for measurement.
Development of the examination
LEARNING EVALUATION METHODS
Laboratory exercise on a topic of the course and oral exam with one question on standard feed-back control and one on vision systems for measurements.
LEARNING EVALUATION CRITERIA
Knowledge of the topics, demonstrated through a clear, correct and complete oral presentation. During the oral exam it will be evaluated the capacity to present the topic and to describe it correctly also with the support of graphics and schemes.
LEARNING MEASUREMENT CRITERIA
Outcome will be published in thirtieth.
FINAL MARK ALLOCATION CRITERIA
The maximum mark is obtained by those students who demonstrate a) have developed and presented a laboratory exercise with optimum correctness and clarity and b) complete optimum mastering of the two topics, exposing them clearly, in depth and correctly by producing also schemes and graphics. The minimum mark is attributed to those students who a) have developed and presented a laboratory exercise at sufficient level and b) demonstrate a sufficient knowledge of at least one of the two topics and at least a partial knowledge of the second. The final mark will be obtained by summing the marks of the colloquium with the marks of the laboratory project work. Up to 15 points are attributed to the colloquium as well as to the laboratory project work.
During the course specific references will be provided for each subject. As guidance, the following books and web-sites will be useful.
- E.Doebelin, Strumenti e metodi di misura, ed. McGrawHill,
- K.J.Gasvik, Optical metrology, ed. John-Wiley & Sons,
- Machine vision algorithms and applications, C.Steger, M.Ulrich, C.Wiedemann, ed. Wiley-VCH-
- G.F.Franklin, J.D.Powell, A.Emani-Naeini, Feedback control of automatic systems, Addison Wesley;
- web www.ni.com
- web www.edmundoptics.com
- web www.mellesgriot.com
- web www.dantecdynamics.com
- web www.tsi.com
- web www.polytec.com
- web www.flir.com
- Ingegneria Meccanica (Corso di Laurea Magistrale (DM 270/04))